Sunday, March 13, 2011

Dear Migraines, Can I Kick You In The Ass?


Today makes the Fourth day in a row I have suffered from a migraine.  I have what many call "complicated migraines."  I do not remember the day I got my first one, but I know I was a young child, perhaps 2nd or 3rd grade.

Complicated Migraines are inherited within my family.  I am the 5th generation so far that has received them.  During the onset of a migraine my vision becomes blurry.  Bright light, and sound affect my eyes.  I need to go to a quiet, dark place.  Many times it looks and sounds as if I am having a stroke. 

There have been times where I have worked, driven, been in school, worked through meetings and finished up errands while having a migraine.  Many times I can control my numbness and still continue through my normal activities and other times I had had to call for my husband or parents (during school) to come get me. 

I am trying to get the courage up to switch medices once again.  I have been taking Zonagran for the past 4 or 5 years.  Obviously it is not working very well when I am still getting 4 or 5 migraines a week.  I also take a medicine called Midrin when a migraine starts.  This medicine is used to stops or lesson the effects of the migraine.  It works half the time. 

The medicine I want to try is one my great aunt is taking and has had great results from it.  They finally came out with a generic, so I am eager to try it.  The medicine is called Topomax.  Does anyone take it for migraines? 

The big thing for me is the last time I switched my migraine medicine I had about 2 migraines a day.  It was ridiculous.  I couldn't think straight, I felt horrible and I just wanted to go into a dark hole.  I am pretty scared to switch again unless I know the mew medicine really works. 
Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Julie I will be praying for you how aweful. That is not fun. I had a friend that suffered so with migraines. My eldest daughter suffers with them as well. I know nothing about meds for them or anything. But I do know how to pray.
    May the Lord show and direct you releive the migraines and take them total away in Jesus name. I pray that you are the healed and not the sick and that you are set free from these attacks of migraines in Jesus name Amen
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know I feel for you even more after having my migraine last month. My mom suffers from frequent migraines too and was on Midrin and then (now?) Topomax - she's had great results with the Topomax and even lost weight in the progress (her favorite side effect by far). If there's a generic version - I'd say go for it, can't hurt to try something that will completely change your life!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your comments. :) The prayers and thoughts mean a lot to me. I had forgotten about the weight loss being a side effect - that never hurts. lol Thanks for sharing about your mother. I am thankful the medicine is working good for her. It does help me with my decision.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by & taking a moment to read my blog. I love each and every comment and I appreciate ALL my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...