My good friend Salianne sent me this recipe almost 2 months ago. I am FINALLY getting around to trying it. She is an awesome cook so right away I knew I must try it!
I really loved the taste of this meatloaf. I loved how the mixture of sweet and spicy came together. I honestly wasn't sure what I would think, but i did love it!! Not a meatloaf I would make every time, but a MUST TRY!! So yummy and such a good mixture of flavor!!
Sweet & Spicy Meatloaf
prep time: 15 minutes
total time: 1 hr. 35 minutes.
What You Will Need:
1 1/2 lb. hamburger
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 cup salsa
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 small onion
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix hamburger, bread crumbs, egg.
- In a medium bowl combine all remaining ingredients. Add 3/4 cup of this mixture to the meat and mix well.
- In an ungreased, 1 1/2 or 2 quart casserole or 9X5 inch loaf pan, shape meat mixture into a loaf.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes.
- Remove from oven and spoon remaining salsa mixture over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake for another 20-30 minutes or until cooked in center. (Thermometer should register 160 degrees.)
I served mine with homemade mashed potatoes, steamed broccoli and carrots and a tall glass of milk.