Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Punishment By Writting Sentences

Today when I sent my sweet Grace to school I wasn't sure if I sent her with enough to wear.  The morning temperatures started in the low to mid 30's.  I knew as the day progressed it would get warmer, but Mr. Sunshine (aka the sun in our home) wasn't out and warming us like it was the day before. 

I dressed Grace in a short-sleeved shirt with her favorite Adidas hoodie.  One of the think warm ones with the stripes on the sleeves.  Than I topped it off with a vest from Children's Place.  No sleeves, more for fashion spring time. 

I specifically told Grace to leave the sweatshirt one.  I knew it wouldn't be warm enough to take that hoodie off.  Usually I leave it up to Grace to determined when she is hot or cold.  I feel she has good judgement and is old enough and smart enough to judge. 

Well, today I am talking with a neighbor and waiting for the bus.  Off rolls Grace with just a t-shirt and just the vest.  The sun is down, so no warmth there.  I had a light jacket on and was chilly, so I knew she was cold.  She just went right by me smiling and running towards the house.  Needless to say I was not happy. 

Is it just horrible? No, but when I say something, I mean it.  Meaning, there are always, always consequences for your actions.  I believe this is how children learn.  One form of punishment I have tried and has worked is making Grace write sentences. 

The first time I did this I almost felt like I was stuck inside a episode of the Simpson's.  I know not even close to a good roll model for young children, but I still can't help but love this show.  I must admit, Grace has watched a few occasions with me. 

Anyway, making Grace write these sentences really does help!  Today her sentence was " I will wear my clothes all day long."  Sounds pretty funny, but I had to shorten it.  I didn't want to make it too long and torture the poor girl.  lol  I have her sit down at the counter and write the sentence 10 times.  I write one practice sentence for her.  If she complains I add 5 more sentences.  That puts a stop to the complaining real quick! 

So, let me know if you either already have tried this technique and how it works for you OR if when you try it how did it work for you?    A very important point to remember when parenting is following through.  No child is going learn responsibility or respect if they have a parent or caregiver who does not follow through.  If you tell your child to make their bed, they should.  If they choose not to there should be consequences.  Obviously the bigger the poor choice, the bigger the consequence.
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by & taking a moment to read my blog. I love each and every comment and I appreciate ALL my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...