Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Homemade Dill Pickles - YUM!

I am so excited to share this super easy and fun recipe with all of you!  My sweet Grace loves pickles so when I came across this recipe I know this was perfect for the two of us!  I love anything that saves time, is healthy and is a fun project.....Project!! 

These pickles are crazy easy to make.  My daughter is 11 and this is something she could do with her baking buddies.  They literally take minutes to make plus dill pickles are our favorite so this was just a perfect match. 

The only challenge is you need to find the perfect cucumber.  Thanks to My Frugal Adventures for the cucumber tip and this great recipe!  You want the best cucumbers that don't have that wax-y stuff on the skin.  You also don't want standard English cucumbers.  You want to find the smaller cucumbers. 

I bought 6 cucumbers which were approximately 5 inches long.  I used (2) old pickle jars (pictured above) to soak my pickles in.  You could also use (2) large mason jars. 

Homemade Dill Pickles

Ingredients
  • cucumbers
  • 3 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/4 cups vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon sea salt
  • 2 cloves garlic minced or cloves
  • peppercorns (this is to taste but about 20 per jar)
  • fresh dill

Instructions
  1. Start by cutting the cucumbers to your preference- into chips, spears or keep them whole.
  2. Add the water and vinegar to a saucepan over high heat and bring to boil.
  3. Add the sea salt.
  4. Remove from heat and let cool.
  5. Add the fresh dill into a large mason jar.
  6. Add the pickles in chips or spears or whole and cram as many as you can fit in the jar.
  7. Next add the whole garlic or minced garlic to the jar.
  8. Add the peppercorns to the jar.
  9. Once the vinegar and water has cooled completely- dump it over the cucumbers in the jar.
  10. Seal the jar with a very tight lid and shake to mix all the ingredients together.
  11. Pop in the fridge for 24-72 hours and Boom! All done

We made these last night and have not had a chance to try one.  Grace did take one for lunch.  I am super excited to hear her reviews when she comes home from school!! 





Make sure all you ingredients are out and you have everything. 











Grace slicing the cucumber.  I think it's a great idea to teach our children to be hands on when cooking and baking. 










Cucumbers all sliced up and ready to become pickles!!  YUM!!


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by & taking a moment to read my blog. I love each and every comment and I appreciate ALL my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...