Friday, February 11, 2011

How much do you budget/spend for groceries?

Before I started using coupons I couldn't tell you how much I spent on groceries.  I really didn't have a budget.  I didn't use a grocery list and most time my husband and I would be grocery shopping while we were hungry (so not smart!)  We would just pick up what I wanted, what sound and looked good and never paid attention if we really needed it. 
Are you like that?  Do you know someone who is?  I found out how much easier and cost effective it is to use a grocery list.  Always take inventory before heading out.  Make sure you know what you have and what you need.  Unless it is an excellent sale that is worthy of stocking up on, you don't want to buy 1 or 2 bottles of ketchup when you already have 2 or 3 at home. 
My budget is $100 every 2 weeks.  This covers all groceries and toiletries.  I am not one who is super strict on my budget.  There are many times I have money left over.  If I only use $80 off the $100 I will either save it for something special, put it in my Avon account or put it towards next week.  Saving the money helps with the weeks when I need to buy toiletries.  One thing I always do is use cash.  If I don't have the cash, I don't need it. 
It became a problem before when I would do all my transactions and deals using my debit card.  I didn't like making all the separate small transactions and plus they could easily add up.  To me it is better and can help save money by using cash.  No cash, no buying!

So my tips would be:
  • Make sure you know how much you want and can spend.
  • Always use cash.  If you don't have the cash, don't charge it.
  • Always make a list.  
  • Take inventory.  Make sure you know what you have and what you need.
  • Save any money left over.  Just because you have cash left doesn't mean you have to spend it. 
Do you have any tips you would like to share?  I would love to hear them!  What is your weekly grocery budget? 
Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by & taking a moment to read my blog. I love each and every comment and I appreciate ALL my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...