Monday, September 24, 2012

Steak N Shake Chili 5 Way......YUM!!



I honestly have been wanting to make this for a long time.  It is one of my hubby's favorite foods from the Steak N Shake menu.  I must admit it is pretty darn good.  Have you eaten there?  They do have good food!  Okay, onto the cooking.

Steak N Shake 5 Way Chili
Time:
prep time:  30 minutes (depending if you meat is frozen)
total time:  2 - 3 hours

What You Need:

2 pounds lean ground beef
1 1/2 cups onion, diced (for hamburger mixture)
1 teaspoon celery salt
4 cans (8 oz size) tomato sauce
1 cup water
2 cans (16 oz size) light red kidney beans (do not drain)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
4 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 cans (8 ounce size) tomato paste
1 pound spaghetti
1 package (12 oz. size) Monterey Jack/Colby cheese, shredded
1/2 - 1 medium onion, diced (for topping)
chili sauce
Parmesan cheese
oyster crackers



Lets Cook

In a skillet over medium low heat saute ground beef and onions. When beef has been cooked, drain all grease; place beef mixture in a large saucepan. Add celery salt, tomato sauce, kidney beans, garlic powder, garlic salt, chili powder, pepper, water and salt; mix all ingredients. 

Over low heat, cover saucepan and simmer for 1 hour, stirring frequently. After chili has been cooking for an hour add tomato paste and stir well. Replace lid on pan and simmer for an additional half hour. 

Prepare spaghetti according to package directions. 

For each serving: In a shallow bowl or plate place generous helping of spaghetti, 3/4 cup chili, 2 Tbs. chili sauce, sprinkle Parmesan cheese and chopped onions, to taste; 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack and Colby cheese mix. 


What I would do different:

I was out of oyster crackers so I had to use saltines.  Still was totally awesome, but next time I will not forget them!!  Also, I will serve in a bowl and not a plate.  Give it more of that restaurant feel.  This is a MUST try!!  I thought it tasted just like Steak N Shakes Chili 5 Way!  It does make a lot so be prepared to have a lot of leftovers.  


Enjoy!!








Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. I love oyster crackers. :D

    http://eternal-simplicity.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for dropping by & taking a moment to read my blog. I love each and every comment and I appreciate ALL my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...