Tuesday, October 4, 2011

10 Tips For a Better Night Sleep


1.  Turn off TVs, computers, and other blue light producers an hour before sleep. Cover any blue displays you can't shut off.  I know for me I get a much better night's sleep when it is quiet and the television is turned off.

2.  Avoid taking naps.  Napping will just make matters worse if you have trouble falling asleep. But if you must nap, keep it brief, 20 minutes or less and do it early in the day. Any shut-eye within eight hours of your bedtime can sabotage a good night's sleep.  The the afternoon slump hits. try going for a walk or getting a glass of water to regain some energy.  For me, naps are not good at all.  Even if I take a 20 - 30 minute nap it  will mess with my sleeping pattern at night.

3.  The sneezing, sniffling, and itching of allergies can cause fragmented sleep and your mattress may be to blame. Over time, it can fill with mold, dust mite droppings, and other allergy triggers. Avoid these sleep wreckers by sealing your mattress, box springs, and pillow.  Make sure you keep your sheets and pillow cases cleaned as well.  Also, be sure to change your pillow on a regular bases.  Over time, who knows what kind of mites, bugs and other unwanted friends can end up in there.

4.  Experts say sleep and sex should be the only pastimes pursued in the bedroom. Don't balance the checkbook, talk on the phone, or watch TV. Everything about the room should be associated with rest and relaxation.  I do like the idea of bedroom = rest and relaxation.  Many times when the kids are watching t.v and leaving their toys behind, the bedroom turns more into the family room.

5.  Go to sleep and wake up at about the same time every day including weekends, Set Your Body Clock.   This routine will put your brain and body on a healthy sleep-wake cycle. In time, you'll be able to fall asleep quickly and sleep soundly through the night.  This is something I have been doing since I was married and I just can't seem to get away from it. The problem for me is I can still stay up late, but yet that darn alarm in my head always goes off and the snooze button never seems to work.

6.  Coffee in the morning is fine for most people, but as soon as the clock strikes noon, avoid caffeine in foods and drinks. Caffeine interferes with the deeper stages of sleep, so even small amounts found in chocolate and decaffeinated coffee may impact your rest.  I do not drink a lot of caffeine, but with my migraines I need to watch for the ingredients on certain pain relievers.  Remember to read the labels.  Some pain relievers and weight loss pills contain caffeine.

7.  Regular exercise has been shown to improve sleep quality, as long as you don't work out too close to bedtime. A post-workout burst of energy can keep you awake. Aim to finish any vigorous exercise 3 to 4 hours before you lay down to bed.  I always enjoy working out or walking in the morning.  It helps me wake up and always make my day start a little better.

8.  Make sure you eat right at night.  Avoid heavy foods and big meals late in the day; they are hard on the digestive system and make it hard to get high-quality sleep. Some people do well with a light evening snack of sleep-inducing foods. Complex carbs and dairy foods will work great, such as cereal with milk or crackers and cheese.  My daughter usually has a light snack in the evening.  I always try to get it in at least an hour before she goes up to bed.

9.  Treat yourself like a child, meaning nothing to drink within two hours of bedtime. It'll help prevent those sleep-wrecking middle-of-the-night bathroom trips. And it can be difficult to get back to sleep quickly after hitting the cold bathroom floor.  This was just the topic of conversation with my daughter.  It is hard for both children and adults not to drink before they go to bed.  She is learning the hard way that waking up to use the rest room can make a long and restless night.  The way I see it is at least she is waking up.  lol

10.  Need another reason to quit smoking? Nicotine is a stimulant, just like caffeine. Smoking can keep you from falling asleep and worsen insomnia.  I quit 11 years ago and I remember having that last one before bed. Perhaps your restless nights could get much better with cutting back on that nasty habit.









Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for dropping by & taking a moment to read my blog. I love each and every comment and I appreciate ALL my readers!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...